Thursday, May 13, 2010

A day in the field


It was a sunny Sunday afternoon, I sat in my seat watching the crowds passing back and forth and listening the familiar song.

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowds;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

This is the unofficial anthem of baseball. And yes, I was in Safeco field and watching Mariners vs. LA Angels baseball game.

It was not only a great game, but also an entertainment.

In this game, Mariners scored 8-1 and ended their eight games losing streak. There were twelve hits and a back-to-back home run. Whatever every time Mariners hit the ball or not, fans always gave the warmest shouts of joy, whistles, and claps. Each time balls flew to audience seat, nearby fans ran over to catch, and finally laughter came out from the lucky person. When you were surrounding those joyful noise, it is hard to keep yourself out of it. Thus, I stood up like they did, clapped my hands harder, and made noise louder. I truly wanted to be one of them, I wanted to help Mariners.

Also it is always fun to watch funny performance during the game. The Mariners Mascot Moose swung in the center deck, the chunky sweeping in-field guys danced hilariously, a school-age kid stole the base, and many other attractive games on the big screen.

Finally, it is a wonderful family event. My husband and I enjoyed the game very much. Although my sons didn't quite understand all the plays, they were happy to sit in their chairs eating chips and other snacks. There were a lot of parents with kids like us watching games, some even brought their grandparents or friends.

Till now I could feel I am not an audience any more, I am one of Mariners fans, part of Mariners.

2 comments:

  1. A great post, Donna! Nice organizing, wonderful details.
    In class we talked about our topics and everyone wrote 3 sentences about 3 different topics from our list. If you can write a short essay about one of the topics this week, that would be great.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! My family are fans of Mariners too. Ichiro is a phenomenal player.

    ReplyDelete